Wharncliffe Gardens Estate

get in touch with us

Wharncliffe Gardens Estate comprises of 288 dwellings spread over 11 courts. Approximately 47% are private Leasehold with the other 53% occupied by residents of City West Homes.

The existing heating systems comprised of a ‘Harco-Pack’ utilising a 117 litre indirect copper cylinder controlled by a ‘Tap-stat and a zone valve controlled by a mechanical room thermostat that serves radiators through a one-pipe system. The buried pipework serving the satellite plantrooms from the main boiler house was approximately 40 years old, leaking and in disrepair.

A single boiler house comprising of four gas fired boilers each at 570kW provides primary heating to three satellite plantrooms. The works consisted of modifying the Low Loss Header to incorporate new connections to the new distribution manifold, which in turn serves the new underground flow & return pipes to each satellite plantroom (3 in number).  Modifications were made to each satellite plantroom to accept the new size pipe work. Plate heat exchangers then transfer the load from the primary to the secondary district heating circuits serving all dwellings with heating and hot water.

We excavated a trench from the boiler room to each satellite plantroom in order to carry the new district heating pipework. Casaflex™ Uno, made by Brugg Pipe systems was specified and ordered in 120 metre bundles. Given the external pipe diameter of 202mm and each coil weighing over 1 tonne, we had to design a turntable capable of carrying the load of the pipe to uncoil it safely into the trench. A system manifold was designed and installed into an underground chamber which connected the sets of flow and return pipes where these were then routed underground. In total over 600m of Casaflex™ pipework was laid.

288 Heat Interface Units (HIU) were installed with individual heat metering. The heating system was controlled by programmable room thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves (TRV). The HIU’s 44kW plate heat exchanger was commissioned to provide a 35⁰C rise @18 litre/min.

All heat metering information is collected via cable from each HIU meter into hubs strategically placed around the estate. This information is then transmitted via wireless connectivity to CityWest Homes centralised hub for billing purposes and energy monitoring.

To ensure each HIU had an adequate water flow and every property had water with mains pressure the water mains across the estate was upgraded.  This included one kilometre of MDPE underground pipework and new copper water mains risers to each block; 84 risers.

Results
Works compliant with:
Heat Networks (Metering & Billing) Regulations 2014
Westminster’s S39 Planning Policy to maintain district heating systems
Infrastructure that is or has previously been in use as part of a heating network will be protected and also in turn complies with the London Plan Policy 5.6.

 

Data provided from multiple energy providers has shown a £30k cost on cost saving on the same period of the previous year. This is a 20% percent increase in efficiency.
City West Homes’ Energy Manager – Technical Services February 2017

Satisfaction results show an 82% overall resident satisfaction. This compares with an overall 59% satisfaction of all the other major works carried out by CWH.
City West Homes’ – Major Projects

CLIENT: City West Homes

PROJECT: Wharncliffe Gardens Estate, District Heating & Flat Works (P133b)

VALUE: £2.25m

PERIOD: 2015-16

H&V nominated project of the year 2017
1.6km of pipework
CDM project
Part L compliant
Heat metering